Meet the Team
Heather Kramer, LCPC
Online only (due to Covid) in Bethesda, MD and online across Maryland, Virginia, DC.
Hi, I’m Heather Kramer. I’m a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor who works with children, teens, and adults. I specialize in working from the inside of the LGBTQ+ community. I work with those who have questions of identity, difficulty managing past experiences, challenges with depression and anxiety, or trouble communicating in their relationships. My goal is to help you make progress toward your goals.
My Journey To Becoming a Counselor
Helping people is the only choice that makes sense to me when I look at the world.
My own pain, struggle, and growth have shaped who I am and help me identify with the pain of my clients. As a queer, neurodiverse, survivor of abuse, I have had my own experiences of uncertainty, rejection, shame, and suffering. I remember how hard it can be to reach out for help and how frightening it can be to face your problems. I know how painful it can be to work with a therapist who isn’t right for you, but I also know how healing it can be to work with a therapist who is.
I have compassion for people and bring an open mind and a warm presence to sessions. People who know me often say that I am a good listener who can help people feel heard and understood, which is the first step to healing.
I have a natural ability to:
- Help people feel comfortable
- Accept people for who they are and where they are in their current life circumstances
- Explain mental health symptoms in an easy to understand way
- Help clients heal their past and manage the present
Being a counselor is an honor. I love supporting and encouraging people in the process of growth and watching them move toward wholeness. I am committed to encouraging you and facilitating positive change.
Our Sessions Are Focused On You
In our sessions I will provide you with the space to be understood and heard. In feeling safe and comfortable, you’ll be able to gain clarity and express your thoughts and feelings.
It’s important to me to create safety within session and to stay open to any feedback and questions you may have. There isn’t a “one size fits all” approach to counseling, and I firmly believe that you are the expert on yourself. Our sessions will fit your specific needs and concerns.
As a Counselor I Believe In the Following Philosophies
- I believe that empathy can change the world.
- I believe that you are worthy of love and care.
- I believe that survivors are not what happened to them.
- I believe that therapy should address the person as a whole – their mind, body, and spirit.
- I believe that loving and accepting ourselves for who we are is one of the most courageous things we can do, and that working to become better versions of ourselves does not have to be contradictory to that.
I am an LCPC and hold a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Loyola University Maryland and a Bachelors in Psychology from the University of Texas at Austin.